Great To Hear Offers Clients In Vaughan
Hearing Tests At Absolutely NO CHARGE!
What Is A Complete Hearing Test?
(Please refer to Figure 1 – Ear Anatomy)
- An Otoscopy examination (looking inside the ear canal for any red flags. ie. Wax buildup, infections)
- An Impedance test (measures the mobility of the eardrum and the conduction bones inside the middle ear)
- Hearing Test (done inside the audio booth)
- Air Conduction Test (measures the initial thresholds of the clients hearing)
- Bone Conduction Test (measures the inner ear using the bones of the skull)
- Speech Test (measures the speech reception threshold and speech discrimination)
- Most Comfortable Level
- Uncomfortable Level
At our location in Vaughan hearing tests are first completed, then the Audiologist or Hearing Instrument Specialist can determine whether the results are WITHIN NORMAL LIMITS or if there is a HEARING LOSS.
What Are The Types Of Hearing Loss?
Sensorineural Hearing Loss
(The root cause lies within the nerves, inner ear, or central processing centers of the brain).
Some examples are:
- Drugs that are toxic to hearing
- Hearing loss that runs in the family (genetic or hereditary)
- Head trauma
- Malformation of the inner ear
- Exposure to loud noise
Conductive Hearing Loss
(Occurs when there is a problem conducting sound waves anywhere along the route through the outer ear, eardrum, or middle ear).
Some examples are:
- Fluid in the middle ear from colds
- Ear infections (otitis media)
- Allergies (serous otitis media)
- Poor eustachian tube function
- Perforated eardrum
- Benign tumors
- Impacted earwax (cerumen)
- Infection in the ear canal (external otitis)
- Swimmers Ear (otitis ecxterna)
- Presence of a foreign body
- Absence or malformation of the outer ear, ear canal, or middle ear
Mixed Hearing Loss
(Both sensorineural and conductive hearing loss, there may be damage in the outer or middle ear and in the inner ear).
***IT IS EXTREMELY IMPORTANT THAT A COMPLETE HEARING TEST IS PERFORMED IN ORDER TO CHOOSE ANY AMPLIFICATION OR HEARING AID/INSTRUMENT NEEDED***
Visit or contact us at our hearing clinic, Great to Hear, for more information.